Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Resources
Scroll through the document or click to jump to a subject of interest.
Use links at left for more details.
National Child Passenger Safety Organizations
- Safe Ride News Publications: www.saferidenews.com
Publisher of CPS-related materials; advocate for CPS issues. Site includes technical articles from the subscription newsletter Safe Ride News®, back issues (and annual indices) for researching specific CR topics, product lists, LATCH update page, fact sheets, LATCH manual CEU Quiz, order forms, ambulance and wheelchair details, and more.
- SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.: www.carseat.org
A national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the correct, consistent use of safety seats and safety belts. Site has technically accurate materials for parents and tools for technicians, such as the Technical Encyclopedia, a Pictorial Guide to identify child restraints, recall list, state laws, and federal regulations. Limited-access page (by subscription) offers the latest CR instructions, recall update service, etc.
- Safe Kids U.S.A.: www.safekids.org
A national organization with over 300 community coalitions around the U.S.A., all of which are very involved in local child passenger safety activities as well as other child safety programs. The national office manages the Child Passenger Safety certification training program.
- The National Child Passenger Safety Board: www.cpsboard.org
Provides program direction and technical guidance to states, communities and organizations as a means to maintain a credible, standardized child passenger training and certification program.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: www.nhtsa.dot.gov; includes specific child passenger safety information
Other CPS Sites:
- Safety Restraint Coalition: www.800BUCKLUP.org
- Car-Seat.org: www.Car-Seat.org
Provides parents with correct and up-to-date information on the selection and safe installation of child safety restraints, including car seats, as well as vehicle safety. Includes buying guides, an expansive car seat FAQ, a discussion forum on child restraint issues, a list of car seat inspection stations and events in Illinois, and extensive links to other websites on injury prevention and vehicle safety related topics.
- The Car Seat Lady: www.thecarseatlady.com or http://thecarseatlady.wordpress.com (blog)
- VideoJug: www.videojug.com/tag/child-car-safety
Stephanie Tombrello (SBS USA exec. director) discusses many CPS topics on video
Car Seat Inspection Site Locators
- SeatCheck.org: www.seatcheck.org
For local organizations offering help to parents/caregivers with specifics of how to properly choose and use their children’s car seats. Search the national listing of Child Passenger Safety Technicians and safety seat inspection stations nationwide.
- Child Passenger Safety Technicians and Instructors directory: http://cert.safekids.org
State Child Passenger Safety Sites with General CPS Information:
There are many excellent state sites, such as:
CPS Technician Certification
- National CPS Board: www.cpsboard.org
Advisory board for CPS certification program; includes board membership, back issues of the CPS Tech Update, CEU opportunities, certification course manuals, etc. Sign up on the site to be notified via e-mail whenever significant updates or announcements are made
- Safe Kids Worldwide (SKW): www.safekids.org/certification
CPS Certification Program information, technician list, news, safety tips, initiatives and advocacy, and recalls
Transporting Children in Emergency Vehicles
- The NHTSA publication, “Working Group Best-Practice Recommendations for the Safe Transportation of Children in Emergency Ground Ambulances,” at www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/811677.pdf.
- The "Guardian" Pediatric Restraint System, manufactured by Serenity Safety Products
A child restraint for children 5 lbs to 85 lbs who are being transported in an emergency vehicle
- Riley Hospital www.preventinjury.org/
CRASH PROTECTION FOR CHILDREN IN AMBULANCES, Recommendations and Procedures, by Marilyn J. Bull, M.D., Kathleen Weber, Judith Talty and Miriam Manary; A joint project of the Indiana University School of Medicine and the University of Michigan Medical School and Transportation Research Institute
- Objective Safety, www.objectivesafety.net
Transporting Children with Special Needs
Safety/Health Sites with Child Passenger Safety Information
- Safe Kids Worldwide www.safekids.org/worldwide
A worldwide, non-profit organization dedicated to the prevention of unintentional childhood injury, and the certifying organization for the national CPS program
- Safe Kids Canada: www.safekidscanada.ca
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): www.healthychildren.org
Parent information on car seat selection and use, special needs, teen drivers, and CPS in childcare settings; authoritative AAP Policy Statements (under “Professional Education & Resources)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), Center for Injury Research and Prevention: http://injury.research.chop.edu/
Major CPS research program combining research into crashes involving children with advocacy for policy/law changes and educational materials (web videos etc.). Includes papers, state-specific data for programs and legislative use, Spanish information and teen safety
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS): www.iihs.org
A nonprofit, scientific, educational research and communications organization funded by auto insurers. Site includes vehicle ratings, research, news releases, publications, educational videos, and laws/regulations.
- Toxic Chemicals in Cars and Car Seats: http://www.healthycar.org
School Bus Passenger Safety
- National Association for Pupil Transportation: www.napt.org
A school bus industry resource for school bus issues.
- National Association for Pupil Transportation (NAPT) Summit: http://naptonline.org/summit/
A conference & trade show known for providing cutting edge curriculum and the showcase for the newest products and the latest technology the industry has to offer.
- National Coalition for School Bus Safety: www.ncsbs.org
An independent resource covering school bus issues.
- School Transportation News: www.stnonline.com
School bus industry, regulatory, and safety news.
- The North American School Bus EXPO: http://stnexpo.com
Now holding it's 20th annual Expo, STN has earned a reputation for being a leader in advocating for as well as challenging the industry to improve an already impeccable safety record by bringing in the best and brightest thought leaders, motivational speakers and experts in their field to share their knowledge with attendees.
- School Bus Fleet: trade magazine: www.schoolbusfleet.com
- The Transporting Students with Disabilities & Preschoolers National Conference: http://www.tsdconference.com/
Held annually since 1992, this conference is recognized as your best opportunity to learn workable solutions and practical answers to your pressing questions about transporting children with special needs: from preschool to adult transition services.
- Manufacturer: SynTec Seating Solutions: www.syntecseating.com
- Manufacturer: SafeGuard, www.safeguardseat.com
- Manufacturer: C.E. White, www.cewhite.com
Parked Car Safety
- Kids And Cars: www.kidsandcars.org
A site devoted to informing people about the dangers associated with children unattended in or around motor vehicles; includes entanglement in seat belts
- Safe Kids USA: www.usa.safekids.org
- Golden Gate Weather Services: www.ggweather.com (go to "weather links")
Tracking of hyperthermia deaths
- NHTSA SaferCar.gov: www.safercar.gov
Vehicle safety information from the government, for the public interest
- Lifesavers Conference: www.lifesaversconference.org
Annual conference covering all aspects of highway safety.
- Kidz In Motion: www.kidzinmotion.org
Conference specifically for CPS advocates and technicians/instructors.
- Assoc. for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine: www.aaam.org
Annual scientific meeting, includes some CPS sessions.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
State CPS Laws